Click on the above link to see ANIMOTO of
MARCHING THROUGH AMERICAN STUDIES!
It has been a pleasure reading your journals this year and watching you grow as young Americans grappling with controversial issues. The journal articles were selected to provoke thinking. You are
always expected to engage them critically--to defend, challenge or qualify what the writer is saying.
I hope you will always keep your journal as a reference and as a record of your writing and thinking during your American Studies journey your junior year in high school.
Thanks for a great ride! I feel so honored to have worked with you!
1. The Price of a Slur --write Critical Reaction
2. "I Am Adam Lanza's Mother" (scroll down and find it on website) Write Critical Reaction.
3. Mr. Thomas Gillette's Reflections as an Eyewitness to the Pearl Harbor Attack, December 7, 1941.
Please share what you learned and what was unforgettable.
4. Explain "The Shot Heard Round the World." (Emerson's poem)
5. Define vocab words: hegemony, resonate, resonance, venerable, coloquialism, evcative, evoke, gobbledygook, smarmy, epithet, euphemism, meritocracy, double-entendre, diatribe, polemic, disparity, lyrical, undaunted, genial
6. Anything you would like to add to your bodacious Journal!
He prayed. It wasn't how I pray.
He spoke. It wasn't my language.
He ate. It wasn't like my food.
He dressed. It wasn't what I wear.
He took my hand. It wasn't the color of my skin.
But when he laughed--it was how I laugh.
And when he cried--it was how I cry.